Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, July 31, 2008

bottle feeding... again, finally!

Well, we spent all of yesterday attempting to acclimate the babies to bottle feeding again (they took them in the hospital...)... I keep pumping out the milk and freezing it and when I go for the evening or whenever and leave them, they don't seem to do very well with eating. So we started with the first feeding after 7am. Davis fussed a bit, but then took the full bottle. Jessa wanted no part of it! Then they both napped (yep even Jessa - on an empty stomach!) Jessa again refused at the next "meal"... then Jessa fussed but eventually took the bottle for the next couple of feeds and did really well at it. Davis kept feeding really well all day. About 3pm Jessa refused it again... then she took it at 5pm.

It took them forever to suck down a bottle... I guess when its labeled slow flow that's what it means... I'm used to the 10 minute feeds... this was taking them 30-45 min! And because they were fussing so much, there was no way to feed them simultaneously... so I fed them one at a time.

I wanted to run out for an errand so for the next feed I let Davis get the real thing since he had been good all day. When we got back and had baths and got our last feed for the day in, Jessa finally relented and took the bottle with no problem... poor thing, I beat her down.

This morning, I started their day out with bottles, just to see, and both took them right away. I also figured out how to feed them at the same time so that was helpful. Yay! I want them to be happy when they need to take them... and it seems that we've accomplished that... now I just need to keep up giving them a bottle once a day for a little while then doing it every so often so that they don't start refusing again. I'm so proud of them, though, for being little troopers and coming around within a day... that wasn't hard, it just took some getting used to.

But momma's over with all that pumping and washing bottles... thankfully we won't be doing too much of that for the next little bit. Its so much easier to just unsnap a bra and offer dinner and then just snap it back up. Nothing to warm or clean! :-)

No comments: