In March we started swimming at our local YMCA, I was able to take the kids there several times a week and as a family we went on the weekend at least once, if not twice. The kids have done great with swimming, but weren't really listening to me very much, so for the month of April they'll also be taking a set of preschool lessons from Miss Laura at the YMCA. We went tonight and they did great!
On our way tonight to their first swimming lesson at the YMCA I was trying to ask if they were excited... next thing I knew, I heard Jessa saying "Davis you excited?" It's just too darn cute to hear them communicate with.
When swimming Davis loves to "go under" and talks about that before going swimming. He's really good at sticking his head under the water and even reaching for toys that sink. He comes up smiling! Of course this means that he's on the stairs the whole time... and when I take him from the stairs and hold on to him to help him "swim" he just yells "I go stairs"... UGH!
Jessa likes to swim a bit more and can swim a few feet to the wall by herself, but she isn't too crazy about going under the water. It's great that they excel in different areas hopefully they'll learn to swim together though!
Neither one wants to try floating... I guess it's a bit unnatural, hopefully they'll become more comfortable with it soon.
Tonight started the new lessons and the teacher had them sitting on the wall and kicking, then learning to slide down the side of the wall and get into the pool while still holding the wall. The teacher held them while getting them to "swim" across and getting them to kick, do their arms like "digging", and blowing bubbles into the water and get their eyes wet. She also added in doing a simple back stroke. It was great to see them so excited and happy to be swimming. The funny thing is that they sat on the wall waiting patiently for their turn with the teacher... very different than when I've tried to teach them! (of course!) I was really worried that they might run away from the lesson and I'd be chasing them the whole time...
I was so proud of them, they did great! There's one other little girl in the class, so it's great to have a small class of only three students. I think in the 8 lessons they will learn a lot! And hopefully we can swim a few times in between the lessons and on the weekends too. They've come a long way in a month with me teaching them, that I can't wait to see what they will start doing during this next month!
Monday, April 4, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment