Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Tanking up... and the solids debate...

Well, the babies have done great with being unswaddled... but were still waking up 1 (usually quick) time in the middle of the night. I was able to get them back to sleep w/o feeding them so I figured they weren't hungry... but last night I noticed that after I'd fed them (breastfed) they seemed hungry still... so I gave them bottles of what I'd pumped after Bunco late last week... and sure enough they both sucked down 4 additional ounces each... maybe I'm not producing what I was... or maybe the babies need more... oh boy. Maybe I just need to drink more water...

Well, the best part is that they slept all night... from 8:30p to 6:30a (Davis) and Jessa until 7a! So this morning I pumped after their morning feed, and only got a total of 4 ounces... and added that together with some frozen milk to tank them up with an additional 6 ounces each tonight. I can only hope that they continue to sleep all night...

I've heard that with breastfeeding that it take about 4 days to increase your supply... so maybe I'll end up getting more supply in the mornings to save for the evening feeds if I keep up the extra pumping. Its a little hassle... but so worth it to not be woken up. I also heard that morning milk is richer... it does look different - its more yellow and creamier... the late evening milk is clearer and almost bluish... the body must get tired of manufacturing milk all day by that last feed.

On the other hand... I'm debating on actually starting to feed solids! Woah.. that's big for me... I've waited until after they were 6 months because of breastfeeding exclusively, they say that the babies' digestion system isn't ready for solids before that anyway, so I don't think they've missed much. But really, I've been lazy... its really easier to just "whip it out" and feed and not have to wash dishes... :-) Ah well, now I've just got to figure out what to feed them...

cereal? hmm... well, a first step is actually having it in the house - I did buy some today. seems like its just a bunch of carbs and fortified iron... doesn't really sound very nutritious.

veggies? maybe... I've heard that you should introduce veggies before fruits because fruits are sweeter and you don't want them to refuse vegetables.

fruits? then I read somewhere that breastmilk is sweeter than fruit... hmm... well, I don't think we'll be doing a taste test to test that out... I'll just take the author's view on that.

I've got a couple of books checked out on what to start by what month. Should be fun. Maybe I'll figure out what to do next week! Maybe by their 7th month birthday? or maybe that will be their Christmas present...

I'm sure you are all very interested in the above post... sorry... just had to "document" for myself! :-)

3 comments:

Vohwinkel Photography said...

Shelly, I am a proponent of waiting as long as possible to introduce solids! Here has been my experience... As a new Mom I was very excited about introducing solids, so on Sophia's six month birthday she tasted carrots for the first time. It was a disaster. Hardly any food went in, most just came back out. I kept at it & about a week later she got ill (not because of the food), so I stopped & went back to only breastfeeding. I then did not feed her solids until she was about 9 1/2 months old! It was a much more pleasant experience. She was truly ready. With Lukas I was going to wait even longer. Lukas had other plans for me. At about 7 1/2 months ever time we would eat he would beg for food, so we started. It took him about a week to get the hang of it. (Taking food without choking). He's never looked back. He was on table food about a two months later. The bottom line is every kid is different, but again my unsolicited advice is to wait as long as possible. The kids will have an easier time eating it, less frustration for you, & plus I think they end up healthier in the long run with only breast milk! :) Keep up the great work, you are a great Mom!

shelleyjerry said...

thanks Stephanie!! Its always great to hear other moms' experiences!! thanks for sharing! I may have to "experiment"... and then let it go for a while if its not gonna work...

Anonymous said...

I find this solids debate most interesting. In the UK when my kids were babies we were 'informed' that solids should be started between 12 and 16weeks, so it differs greatly with you guys by a huge margin. It is what is right for the baby in the end though. I tried eggs with Chloe at the allotted time (I think 1 year) and she had such a reaction she was hospitalised. Its so easy to make your own food though that there is never a need for processed food (same for adults!), good luck with it all, its fun when they start trying to feed themselves, food flying everywhere!!