Well, just to document a bit, here's a little post about our breastfeeding journey. I guess at 2.5 yrs old we're into the "extended" breastfeeding realm of the game. For the most part we are all 3 enjoying it, mostly its just a morning and evening event for us. One which is quite fun, we all 3 climb into our bed and we get the pillows all set up, Davis knows which one is his and Jessa knows which one is hers, and sometimes she runs to her crib to grab her little pink pillow. And Jessa normally grabs her "bear bear" security blanket or her doll. Anyway, we pull the covers up and enjoy 15 minutes of nursing. Sometimes they let their dolls and/or stuffed animals pretend to nurse on me too! Sometimes Jessa "nurses" her dolls while she nurses! It's all pretty cute!
I've been wondering how much they get, and my trick that used to work way back when they were getting a lot isn't working now that supply is down. I would weigh myself on my digital scale before and after a feed and see how much weight I would lose! Typical feeds would be between .6 and 1.0 of a pound! wow, that would be 8 oz. each on some of the big feeds! well, most of the time I've tried that lately the scale never moves... which has led me to believe that they aren't getting much, since .2 of a pound is 3.2 oz to split between the two of them and the scale hasn't even shown that... So tonight when they didn't ask to nurse I pumped instead... well, first I had to go find all the parts and pieces to the pump, I haven't used it since they turned 1 yr old! I finally got it all set up and the first bit I thought - wow - I'm actually pumping milk... but then it slooooowed way down. In total after at least 20 minutes it was a combined 1 oz.! haha! They sure aren't getting much volume from "mommy's milk"... but I guess extended breastfeeding isn't about that. I am happy that they are getting some antibodies from me, and that they get comfort and enjoy it.
So, I'm wondering how long I'll have my breastfeeding "ticker" up on the blog for... time will tell.
Here's a great website with all sorts of breastfeeding information - including info on Child Led Weaning: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/how_weaning_happens.html
and a "Fact Sheet" on extended breastfeeding: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html
I love the part of the fact sheet that says that breastfeeding past infancy is normal! That makes me smile. Of course I also think its great that there are many benefits to me, reducing risks of many female cancers and osteoporosis. It's a win-win. So again, I'll be interested how much longer I'll be in the Breastfeeding club!
Friday, November 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment