Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, September 7, 2009

15 month recap... warning: foods & diaper talk

Well, I won't post any pictures to accompany this post... but I thought I'd document our food trials here... Around 15 months is when we tried to start some of the other foods that we hadn't done yet. I tried peanut butter right around the time of their 15 month visit... that was not a good experience. They'd had a few bites of peanut butter ice-cream pie a few days before and got soupy diapers and I thought we might as well try peanut butter toast to see if it was the ice-cream or the peanut butter that was the culprit. well, that was the beginning of a bad month! loose/wet poopies... yuck! Then at our 15 month doctor's visit she made me feel really bad for having babies in the 2 and 5th percentile for weight... so I thought I'd transition them from the small 3 oz soy milk bottle after their afternoon nap to a 3-4 oz full fat "cow's" milk bottle... well, that went just as horribly as the peanut butter... I started off by doing 2oz soy and 2oz cow's milk... and didn't do any more since they immediately got diarrhea. (Soy only has 100 cal. per 8oz and Whole milk has 150 cal. so I wanted to up the caloric intake)... Since the milk didn't work, I quit it and figured I'd try again later.

here are more "random" things we tried that attributed to the month of "bad diapers"... (they got so bad that I broke down and bought a box of disposables... another $20 wasted!!)

*I gave them some mac & cheese I'd made w/milk, and had the same issues. We'd given them mac & cheese before, but if I think back, maybe when we had they had loose diapers then too... but then they'd clear up.

*To compensate for wanting to get more good fats in their diet, I gave them a whole avocado one night before bed... usually they just split half, but a whole one is probably too much high fat...

*I also found a new Soy Milk that had 130 calories, I was so excited (that it was so much closer to 150 cal of full fat cow's milk), and got it, and didn't even look at the sugar content... oh boy, it went from 6gms from the original 100 cal kind, to 16 grams with this new kind... that also contributed to "bad diapers", so we quit that.

*I also tried to start doing more "snacks" and did a lot of Multi-grain Cheerios and bananas and avocados etc. None of which are bad... but maybe we did too many carbs?

*then I called the doctors office and they said to eliminate the items that we thought were bad... like the milk. well that didn't help, I even tried to do the BRAT diet - bananas, rice, applesauce & toast... and I think I overloaded them on simple carbs or something. I must have gone through a ton of bananas... but this didn't help firm anything up either.

*so the Thursday before we left for the last weekend of August I went in for a doctor's visit... I saw the other doc in the practice and he suggested doing a high protein diet. oh boy... well, as vegetarians this seems to encompass legumes and soy/tofu... we did it for a few days and it seemed to get better then it got worse again. Of course, now we were on vacation in South Florida, and I was trying to do just tofu, veggies, soy milk, breastmilk, beans and their oatmeal mix in the mornings... it seemed that everyday we gave them something "extra"... and it never cleared up then either.

*finally... I think I realized that before all this started happening, I was only giving them 3-4 oz. of soy milk 1 time a day.. and now they were getting 2 times and more tofu etc. So, for a few days I cut all soy out. No soy milk, I gave them water instead and no tofu. Yay, we started getting solid diaper discharges again!

So, now we've been back to our wonderful cloth diapers for a few days, and I'm enjoying every time I get to "plop" the poop back in the toilet... never thought that would give me so much joy! We've added back in the one 3oz. soy milk bottle a day and everything is still going great. I did find a good line of Silk soy milk that has 110 calories and still has low sugar, so at least they'll be closer to the 150 cal. of full milk until we make the plunge to try that again. Hopefully soon I'll add back in the fruit to their diet and be back to our normal healthy foods.

Before all the fiascos happened I'd found that cottage cheese has lots of high calories, fat & protein, so I'll add that back in too, hopefully the higher calorie and fat foods will make up for the lower nutrition in the soy milk. and at least soy milk has something in it besides water. I try so hard to make every bite of food count and it will be nice to get back to adding in more nutrition.

Sorry for this long poopy post... but truly the blog is for us to document our lives, and this is what's its all been about during the 15th month! I'm so glad that at 16 months we're doing better!

No comments: